Skip to main content

Sustainable Clothing


Since its inception in 2012, Baldwin, the founder of Lux & Ivy, has been actively engaged in delivering public talks and spearheading community dialogues on the intersection of environmentalism and human rights within the fashion industry.


A look at some previous work and upcoming events:


February & March 2015: Hosted Clothing Swaps at Vibes Music  
Clothing Swap 

October 2015: Interviewed by Julia Spangler in Fair for All Guide:

Interview for Fair For AllInterview

January 2016: Led a Roundtable Discussion on Slow Fashion at The Outpost, a local pop-up shop within Circle Center Mall. Featured speakers were sustainability experts Julia Spangler (Sustainability Consultant, Ecosystem Events) and Elizabeth Roney (Founder and Creator, Liz Alig)



Rountable Discussion

January 2016: Debuted “Slow Fashion Saves Lives” stickers (phrase coined by Lux & Ivy, original design buy Alice Guerin)

Slow Fashion Saves Lives
Slow Fashion Saves Lives Pamphlet

Our pals at United State of Indiana reworked this design for us in 2023 and we now have it on t-shirts!

March 2016: Spoke on Sustainable Fashion at “Tearing Down Walls”, an International Women’s Day event:


March 2016: Guest Lecturer for the Sustainability Practicum class at Butler University

Buter University

May 2019: Panelist for PATTERN Magazine’s Eco + Sustainable Fashion Discussion 


March 2024: Indiana State University Human Rights Day Presenter - “Fast Fashion’s Impact on Human Rights” 



June 2024: Sustainable Luxury Event, hosted by Style Riot + Draft Creative Space

Why Does This Matter?

 All those cheap, on-trend pieces you're buying from Forever 21? Yeah, they may have less of an impact on your wallet, but the cost is far greater... All this thoughtless consumption is jeopardizing the future of this planet we call home. Soooo what the heck is "slow fashion", and how do we start making changes with our consumption?


  • Aims to be conscious, sustainable, ethical
  • Takes responsibility for its supply chain
  • Doesn't race to the bottom
  • Values people and the planet

Fast Fashion Facts:


  • Only 10% of the clothes people donate to charity or thrift stores get sold. The remaining 90% is shipped to developing countries where the flood of secondhand clothing can undermine local industry, or they end up in a landfill.
  • Demand for low prices creates an extremely competitive "race to the bottom". Factories have to produce at lower and lower costs or lose business altogether. Workers are pressed to produce more and faster with no loss of quality. This can lead to a grueling and sometimes dangerous work environment.

    Putting this all into action: How do we make an impact?


    1) Shopping responsibly. Meaning - purchase items that are higher quality, made well, and made sustainably. Look for well-made clothing that will last. Bu y staple pieces that will outlast the trends. Seek out sustainable fabrics like cotton, bamboo, hemp, or anything biodegradable.  


    2) SHOP VINTAGE AND SECONDHAND. Give new life to already existing pieces instead of wasting resources on new ones. Screw the current trends and find your OWN style. Trust me... it's wayyyy more fun.  


    3) Shopping locally handmade and Fair Trade. Look for companies who make goods themselves, or honor the makers of their products through fair trade. Fair Trade works supports communities of makers and celebrates traditional and ethnic techniques that are being forgotten in our culture of fast fashion.  


    4) Getting rid of stuff you don't need - responsibly. Keywords: Consignment, resale, clothing swaps, online sales and swap groups, apps like Yerdle and Depop. Remember that only a percentage of the clothes people donate to charity or thrift stores get sold. There are often times better homes for your unwanted items than a thrift store! 



    Your Cart

    Your cart is currently empty.
    Click here to continue shopping.